[Avodah] Have you perhaps become more machmir or more meikil over time?

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Feb 14 13:22:27 PST 2017

<<R. Bluth once told me that RMF used to say that he doesn't say
chumros or kulos. He says Halacha." >>

Nevertheless RMF is known as one of the more mekil poskim (of course any
posek has his own chumros and kulos we are talking about averages)

As is well known it takes more courage to be mekil than machmir. It is easy
to say I am not sure so be machmir. There is a quote from CI (the accuracy
of quotes from CI is debatable) that if he was 95% sure of a kula he would
be machmir but if he was 100% sure of a kula he would paskin that way
against other authorities.
RMF was a mekil because he had the broad shoulders to insist on a kulah
that he believed in even when it was very unpopular.

--
Eli Turkel