[Avodah] The Rabbi, the Rebbe, and the Messiah

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 13 22:50:50 PST 2017

The difference is that knowing -- in detail -- what happened, what was
said, and by whom, and in what way, is vitally important in order for us
to not repeat the mistake.

There is going to come a time when we will look back on all the people
who continued to believe R' Shneersohn was mashiach and wonder how it
happened again.  There's a saying: "Those who ignore history are doomed
to repeat it."  It sounds like you're actually advocating ignoring history.

Lisa

On 2/14/2017 7:57 AM, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 13/02/17 22:09, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
>> On 2/13/2017 8:42 PM, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>
>>> The evidence he presents does not show any attempt to suppress
>>> knowledge of the affair, but rather a perfectly normal process of
>>> destroying heretical books, and of removing the name of a rasha from
>>> places where it ought not to appear, such as in proclamations
>>> honouring him.
>
>> Depends on what comes along with this process, like denying that
>> Shabbatei Zvi was supported by great rabbis and enjoyed world wide
>> communal support. There is removing the proclamation and there is
>> denying that a proclamation was ever given.
>
> There was never any attempt to cover it up, and nobody knowledgeable
> has ever tried to deny it.  But the proclamations themselves were
> quite properly destroyed; what else should have been done with them?
> When a publisher withdraws and pulps a book, something which happens
> regularly, is it trying to cover up its mistake?!

---