[Avodah] The Rabbi, the Rebbe, and the Messiah

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 13 07:44:35 PST 2017

At 10:07 AM 2/13/2017, Cantor Wolberg wrote:
>On 10/10/17 13:13, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote (re: Message: 1):
>THere was never any attempt to suppress knowledge of the SZ affair.

>Patently UNTRUE. The following is from documented historic texts and I quote:
>'In the vast majority of believers, revulsion and remorse set in and
>there was an active endeavor to erase all evidence,
>even mention of the pseudo-Messiah. Pages were removed from communal
>registers, and documents were destroyed.
>Few copies of the books that celebrated Shabbetai Zvi survived, and
>those that did have become rarities much sought after by libraries
>and collectors.'

Cantor Wolberg is totally on the mark here and Zev Sero is incorrect.

 From http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/shabbetai-zvi

The apostasy [of Sabbatai Tzvi} shocked the Jewish world. Leaders and
followers alike refused to believe it. Many continued to anticipate
a second coming, and faith in false messiahs continued through the
eighteenth century. In the vast majority of believers, revulsion and
remorse set in and there was an active endeavor to erase all evidence,
even mention of the pseudo-Messiah. Pages were removed from communal
registers, and documents were destroyed. Few copies of the books that
celebrated Shabbetai Zvi survived, and those that did have become rarities
much sought after by libraries and collectors.

YL