[Avodah] The Rabbi, the Rebbe, and the Messiah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Feb 10 09:23:50 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:49:34PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: http://seforim.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-rabbi-rebbe-and-messiah.html
: "Messiahship was a chasidic and mystical phenomenon, with chasidic
: rebbes; ... R' Nachman of Breslov[5]...

When I was young enough to still sit next to my father in shul (and I
have been married for 30 years), and thus in front of R/Dr David Berger,
he and I discussed this particular case. (Before and after davening, of
course -- don't be chosheid he would speak mid-davening!) But given 11
other historical examples (response to RYDOdesser is still not a closed
book) my point is yet stronger.

Given that Chassidic Messianism of this sort routinely dies down, why
is he so worried about how RMMS was being remembered?

Even if he remains convinced they are violating the 12 iqar emunah,
and thus requiring a macha'ah, he should be expecting a short-lived
phenomenon.

I did not retain his reply.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507