[Avodah] Tichleh Regel Min Hashuk

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 6 10:24:09 PST 2017

From: Akiva Miller via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

> Thus, if shops close at midnight  most nights of the week,
> midnight would be the time of Tichleh Regel Min  Hashuk even
> on Friday night and Motzai Shabbos.
> But again I  don't really think "shuk" means literally "market"
> here but more  generally, outside, out on the streets. [--TK]

As a matter of wording and  meaning, I accept this. But what Pirsumei Nisa
would be  accomplished?

The Jews are at home eating the seudah on Friday night.  They are not on the
streets as late as during the week. Why can't I simply  light before
Shabbos, and Jews will see the neros while they come home from  shul, quite
possibly during bein hashmashos? Why do they need to burn longer  than that?

Suppose .... the Jews are already home, but there are  still plenty of
non-Jews in
the streets. ....Is that going to  accomplish
Pirsumei Nisa?

Akiva Miller

My understanding is that while you want people outside (Jews and goyim) to
see the Chanuka lights, pirsumei nisa is already accomplished if the family
 inside the house sees the lights or even if just the person who lit them
sees  them.

The lights are best seen after dark.  Bein hashemashos it's still  light
outside.  Our little lights competing with the sun, even the fading  sun --
don't do much.  Me'at min ha'ohr docheh harbeh min hachoshech  -- does a lot,
symbolically very meaningful.

We notice miracles in times of darkness.  When a person has a terrible
illness and miraculously recovers we say, " Baruch Hashem!  What a  nes!"  When
a person is perfectly fine and nothing happens we don't say,  "What a
miracle!  He's walking and talking just great!"  That  would be like a candle in
the daytime.  Everything's fine, who notices just  one more little thing
that's also fine?

The whole point of Chanuka, it seems to me, is that the lights are
symbolic; when things seemed darkest -- that's when we had miraculous  light.

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..