[Avodah] Tichleh Regel Min Hashuk

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 6 04:49:45 PST 2017

R"n Toby Katz wrote:

> Thus, if shops close at midnight most nights of the week,
> midnight would be the time of Tichleh Regel Min Hashuk even
> on Friday night and Motzai Shabbos.
> But again I don't really think "shuk" means literally "market"
> here but more generally, outside, out on the streets.

As a matter of wording and meaning, I accept this. But what Pirsumei Nisa
would be accomplished?

The Jews are at home eating the seudah on Friday night. They are not on the
streets as late as during the week. Why can't I simply light before
Shabbos, and Jews will see the neros while they come home from shul, quite
possibly during bein hashmashos? Why do they need to burn longer than that?

Suppose I had some sort of system by which the neros are lit after tzeis
and the Jews are already home, but there are still plenty of non-Jews in
the streets. (We are discussing Hilchos Chanuka here, *not* Hilchos
Shabbos, and *not* Mitzva Habaa b'Aveira.) Is that going to accomplish
Pirsumei Nisa?

Akiva Miller