[Avodah] yaakov vs yehuda

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 3 05:10:24 PST 2017

On 03/01/17 04:32, Ilana Elzufon via Avodah wrote:
> RSN: yaakov said who ever had the terafim should die. yehuda said
> whoever has the cup should die. and yet binyamin doesn't....
>
> Rahel really did deliberately steal the terafim. Binyamin didn't steal
> the cup; it was placed in his bag by Yosef's servants.

That shouldn't have made a difference.  A tzadik's curse has an effect
even if it's conditioned on something that doesn't happen.  Yehuda's own
pronouncement "vechatasi le'avi kol hayamim" took effect even though he
did bring Binyamin back.  But in this case we have no information that
Yehuda ever said the person with the cup would die.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all