[Avodah] Yom Geulah

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 30 07:55:06 PDT 2017

With Pesach around the corner I am reminded of something
I learned years ago in the name of Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik.
There is a distinction between geulah and yeshua. The term
geulah is applicable to occurrences brought forth by Hashem only;
a yeshua may come through the media of a sh’liach or sh’lichim
whom God has inspired to leadership in time of distress.
Thus we find no individual, not even Moshe Rabenu, associated
with Geulas Mitzrayim. That redemption came about through the
Almighty’s direct intervention (…am-zu ga’alta.. Ex:15:13).
Historically geulah happened once in our past — at yetzias Mitzrayim.
To only one other event is the word geulah applied; and that is yet
to come leosid lovo when God will send Moshiach Tzidkenu.
Yeshuot, on the other hand, occurred frequently in our history. One
of the great yeshuot happened more than 2,000 years ago when
the chashmonaim rebelled against the Syrians and were victorious.
Another distinction: for geulah we give thanks to the Almighty only;
for a yeshuah we may add also our gratitude to those who were the
sh’luchei haShem.

“God creates out of nothing. Wonderful you say. Yes, to be sure, but he does what is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners.”
― Søren Kierkegaard <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6172.S_ren_Kierkegaard>, The Journals of Kierkegaard <http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/6568732>