[Avodah] Elijah's Cup

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 28 09:38:35 PDT 2017

Why do we have Elijah’s Cup? Why not Moses’s cup or Abraham’s cup
or Isaiah’s cup?

As we know, Pesach (especially the Seder) is the holiday, par excellence,
where the family is closest together. No other ritual in Jewish life has been
invested with such a peculiar charm and has created an atmosphere of
such warm, wholesome family union as has the Seder. More than any other
holiday, it has engendered a spirit of mutual understanding and appreciation
between old and young that makes the Seder a vital pedagogical experience.

Now the fascinating answer why Elijah was chosen. He was the messenger
of God, appointed to herald the era of Moshiach when the Jewish people l
and all peoples throughout the world shall be free and emancipated.
Indeed, Elijah was the champion of family unity as well as the crusader
of universal redemption. When Elisha approached him with an earnest plea
to become his disciple and told him that he was prepared to forsake his
mother and father in order to follow him, Elijah commanded him, “Leich shuv,
Go and return.” (Kings I <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I>: Ch.19 vs.20). Obviously, in those days, it was customary
for students and disciples to abandon their homes and follow their masters.

The great prophet Elijah was the first to reject categorically this misguided custom.
He warned Elisha to return to his mother and father, indicating that his devotion to
his parents would in no way interfere with assuming the mantle of leadership.  On
the contrary, true liberation comes from a life that has struck deep roots in a
closely-knit family environment, where there prevails a union of hearts between
parents and children and where positive attitudes and good relationships are
fostered.

For this reason, Malachi, in depicting the supreme achievement of Elijah’s prophecy,
stresses the point, V’heishiv leiv ovos al bonim v’leiv bonim al avosom; And He shall
turn back the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to
their fathers.” (Malachi 3:24)

Elijah was therefore chosen by our Baal Haggadah as the Biblical hero to be singled
out at the Seder table for special mention and glorification. For the spirit of Elijah
symbolizes the double aspect of the Passover holiday — the universal message of
liberty and our historic devotion to the integrity of family life, which is inseparable to
the ultimate redemption.

Faith takes the sufferings of the past and present
and molds them into the happiness of the future.
Anonymous