[Avodah] Where to Give Tzadakah

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 15 05:19:26 PDT 2017

The many appeals for donations around the time of Purim and Pesach have got me to thinking about to whom and where one should give tzadakah.

Recently I received an email asking me to donate funds to support a Kollel in EY that one of the shuls I daven at has "adopted."  I replied, "There is a very fine kollel in Flatbush that I am sure could use donations.  Why should I support a Kollel in EY?  Shouldn't I send money to the Kollel in Flatbush?"

The reply was, "Why can't we support both?"  I replied that I sincerely doubt that there is enough money to support all of the worthy institutions in Brooklyn and to also send to institutions in EY.  I suggested that the person I was emailing call up any yeshiva or Bais Yaakov in Flatbush and ask if it needed financial support.

Do not local institutions come first in the list of whom to give Tzadakah to?  And if so,  what is to happen to the many requests for funds from worthy institutions in EY?

YL