[Avodah] RYBS at Cross-Currents

Harry Maryles via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 1 20:25:38 PST 2017

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:17 PM, Toby Katz via Areivim
<areivim at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
> ... The issue is complex, and would need many pages to do it
> justice. But in a nutshell, TIDE advocates studying everything -- yes,
> everything, science, history, literature -- through the lens of Torah. TUM
> advocates studying "the two mountains" or "the two magisteria" -- two
> different spheres of knowledge, two separate domains, each with its
> own ethical and intellectual rules. TUM over the decades has produced
> a veritable army of people with bifurcated minds, while TIDE produces
> integrated Torah personalities.

You are misinterpreting TuM, Toby. The '2 towers' is but one
interpretation of TuM. TIDE can be interpreted as TuM too... as noted
by Dr. Lamm in his book on the subject. Torah Umada is excaty what
those words mean: Torah and general knowledge. See for example RAS's
interpreation of it in his book, LOTH, LOTM. I also believe you have
unfairly attacked RYBS in your CC comment.

HM