[Avodah] Yitro

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Feb 11 18:35:38 PST 2017

At the end of World War 1, at the Versailles Peace Conference,
President Woodrow Wilson, idealist and dreamer that he was
proposed his famous Fourteen Points which he thought would end wars,
impart standards of morality, etc. One of his contemporaries, French
Prime Minister, Georges Clemenceau (nicknamed “The Tiger of Paris”)
rose and remarked: “Mr. Wilson, aren’t you more strict than Moses who
proposed Ten Points only and you propose Fourteen?”  The gentle Wilson
replied: “My dear Clemenceau, if the world would have observed the Ten Points
of Moses there would be no need for my Fourteen Points.”
People of all faiths throughout the centuries have recognized the Ten Commandments
as the foundation of civilized life.

It is quite interesting that the gematria of Moshe Rabbeinu is exactly 613.