[Avodah] How long was Shib'ud Mitzrayim?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 30 15:46:25 PST 2017

We often say that the slavery in Mitzrayim was "only" 210 years. The best I
can figure, that would be the span from 2238 (when Yaakov and the family
joined Yosef) until the Exodus in 2448. But surely it was shorter than
that, since Yaakov and the family were treated as honored guests -- at
least initially.

I suppose that's why Rashi (Shemos 6:16) says that there was no slavery
until the last of the brothers died, and that was Levi. ArtScroll's
comments on that Rashi say that Levi lived in Mitzrayim for 94 years, so
when we deduct that from the 210, only the last 116 years were actual
slavery.

The Torah Anthology (Parshas Shemos, pg 150) gives two more possibilities:
(1) The slavery began with Miriam's birth, and lasted 83 years and 4
months. (2) He gives another calculation, leading to 86 years minus 40 days.

Does anyone know of other suggestions as to how long that slavery "really"
lasted?

Akiva Miller