[Avodah] The OU on Glatt Poultry

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jan 17 08:21:12 PST 2017

The following is from today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis.  It basically says what I sent out about Glatt poultry yesterday.  However, it adds some information about poultry in Europe and Asia where apparently lung inspection is required.  I was under the impression that at times it has been necessary to inspect the lungs of poultry in Israel also.

YL

Q. I've noticed that many poultry products have an "OU GLATT" designation, but some simply say "OU MEAT". What is the difference between the two? - A Consumer's Question

A. Generally, the lungs of poultry have always been healthier than those of cattle, and have never needed an inspection (Rambam, Shechita 11:12). Therefore, strictly speaking, the application of the term Glatt to poultry is inappropriate. Because many consumers are not aware of the difference between cattle and poultry in this respect, it has become commonplace to use this designation for poultry too. As a result, the term "glatt" has taken on a colloquial meaning, which might translate as "kosher to the highest standard". All poultry meets the same high standards set by the OU, regardless of the MEAT or GLATT designation.

(In recent years, lungs of poultry in some countries in Europe and Asia have frequently been found to be diseased, and they require an inspection.)