[Avodah] Sous-vide cooking on Shabbos

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 9 14:00:35 PST 2017

We have one. They are very useful. A Rav I know sent me a message asking if I knew of any Psak Din. This is in relation to Shabbos where it may have been going from Friday morning, say, only to be ready for the Shabbos Meal.

The two things that immediately came into my head were Hatmono and Shehiya. In regards Hatmono I thought a hetter might be that the hot water (Yad Soledes) could be used for a cup of tea, or perhaps putting in a soup stock cube would give you a side effect.

I then went to the internet and found a very recent short Shiur from Rav Aryeh Leibowitz on the issue. It was not conclusive but informative. It appeared that Rav Belsky zl considered Shehiya and Mori VRabbi Rav Schachter *appeared* to be Meikel.

I rang Rav Schachter but there was no answer. I will ring again soon.

Does anyone have any responses to this question from Poskim of note?

Thanks in advance.

The information contained within this email should be considered confidential and / or privileged and is intended solely for the addressee(s) only. It may not be copied, forwarded, printed or otherwise disseminated to a third party to whom it is addressed without the explicit permission of the author of the email.

If you have received this message in error, you must not copy, forward, print, or otherwise disseminate any information contained within this email or attachments. Please contact the sender advising that the error has occurred and to determine the most appropriate method of disposal. Thank you in anticipation of your cooperation.