[Avodah] Prayer for the Government

Saul Guberman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 9 13:59:54 PST 2017

> On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 07:49:47AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Areivim wrote:
> : I have never understood the objection to these tefilos. Even under the
> most
> : hostile of governments - or *especially* under the most hostile -
> shouldn't
> : we ask Hashem to guide them and turn their hearts to be good, so that
> they
> : will be deserving of our thanks and and allegiance? Is it really so
> : difficult to understand these tefilos in that manner?
> :
> : Akiva Miller

 I have heard a few different objections to the prayer that is in the
Artscroll siddur:

1) It is really for monarchies with klutzy lines thrown in for the
President and other officials.
2) In a democracy there is no reason for chanifa of the officials.
3) In a democracy, if the elected official is harming our interests, there
is no reason to pray for their welfare, it is praying contrary to our
interests.

I don't think anyone objects to praying for Hashem to guide them.  Those
who object do not see that sentiment as the ikar of the current iteration
of the prayer.

Saul