[Avodah] Tfilat nedava

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 23 13:52:13 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:16:06PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Why do we no longer allow (in most cases) tfilat nedava (voluntary
: prayer)? Has human nature dramatically changed over time since the Talmud
: so as to make such prayer generally suspect? What are the observable
: indications of this change?

Another 2 examples: We no longer require repeating Ashrei if "Poseiach
es Yadekha" was said without kavvanah, and similarly not repeating 18
because of a thoughtless Birkhas Avos. Berakhos 34a would have yu
repeat 18, the Semaq (#11) would have you repeat if you think kavvanah
is likely the second time around, and the Tur (OC 101) as well as
the Rama tell you not to repeat. (A linear progression over time.)

We have yei'ush that the repetition would necessarily have sufficient
kavanah anyway.

The MB 101:1 "veha'idna" is worth a look. He asks why it would be
permissible to continue saying 18 if one realized in the middle that Avos
was said without kavanah. How can he continue making berakhos if there
is no chance he will be meqayeim the chiyuv?

So it seems yes; we do believe kavanah is further from common reach than
in Chazal's day.

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter