[Avodah] Mashgiach and Kosher Standards

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 9 05:19:37 PST 2017

I thank Prof Levin for referencing my website re Kashrus standards however,
I suspect it would have been more accurate to say - according to Halacha,
rather than - according to what is on this website - the standards of
supervision that are in place in establishments in Brooklyn and many other
places  leave something to be desired.

I do not know the nature of the businesses that R Levine references but if
there is a fair chance that regular substitutions with non-Kosher will
provide a significant profit increase [like meat or cheese] then the need
for intense Hashgacha is increased, however when there is little incentive
to make substitutions, the need for intense Hashgacha is less.
This is all included in the Halacha.

I make a determined effort to reference Halacha sources for all articles I
publish and that article certainly does.

One can only wonder why Reb Zev felt the need to point out that the OU does
not have a monopoly on Halacha.
No one suggested that they do, not R Levine in his posting nor in the
article he referenced.

Also saying that - the OU has its standards, based on its clientele and
they choose the appropriate level of supervision they believe is required -
may be misunderstood. It does not mean that the OU ignores Halacha,
ChVeShalom. Rather the OU adheres strictly to Halacha and also various
customs, but chooses a path that suits their business model.

In spite of Rabbanim differing about the standards they apply, there must
be agreement about the Halacha. Either something is Muttar or Assur, and if
there is an argument, the disputants must present their arguments - Kach Hi
Darko Shel Torah.

But this seems to rarely happen. We usually get - our rabbi says this is
Kosher or not Kosher - and that is the end of the discussion. It then
devolves into an argument about whose rabbi is bigger.

The scarcely concealed class divisions alluded to in Reb Zevs comment -
other Hechsherim which are the OU's *equals*, if not greater ....
characterise the worst aspects that plague Kashrus certification. After
all, by what measures are we making these evaluations and more importantly,
for what purpose?

And I truly wonder if those providing Hechsher have full rights to set
different standards suited to their clientele, when it is fairly clear that
such differences feed an unsightly aspect of our beautiful communities, and
may well be driven [also] by business considerations; ensuring they retain
their market and constituents.

And BTW - what is it that makes a Hechsher untrustworthy?
And when is it permitted to publicise such information [as Milhouse does]
And by which device does one measure that almost everybody or nobody trusts
a particular Hechsher.

As for giving a Hechsher on the proprietor, I suppose no one can be coerced
to give a Hecsher on anything or to anyone - but what is the point?  I am
astonished that Reb Zev suggests that by endorsing the person, the Rav
HaMachshir may therefore employ very loose standards in supervising such
people. How could a responsible Rov place an Ehrlicher Yid in such a
position? We have Halachos that govern how many people are required to
collect and distribute Tzeddaka.

In conclusion it is useful to study Reb Moshes comments [see Teshuvah
http://www.kosherveyosher.com/lone-rabbis.html] - he explains that a
community Kashrus must be completely financially independent. It must be
entirely supported by the community [a levy paid by all the members of the
community] and the food manufacturers and service providers do not pay a
penny for their certification.

If any financial benefit is derived from providing certification, then the
status of the Kashrus org and its standards are compromised, in which case
the larger Kosher agencies are likely to be less trustworthy because they
are not fearful of any negative consequences. They are like a juggernaut
that keeps on moving forward and crushes any memory of their errors,
mistakes and shortcomings, whereas the smaller agencies live in fear of
being careless or making an error that will almost certainly be used to
attack and obliterate them.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi