[Avodah] 4 kingdoms

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Dec 3 08:34:33 PST 2016

In regard to an old discussion  I saw the following in the sefer of R
Sender on Chanukah

Te gemara says we don't say Hallel on a miracle outside of EY. There are 4
kingdoms that invaded EY and sent them into exile. Babylonia, Persia,
Greece and Rome. The Maharsha asks why is Greece included when they never
exiled the Jews from EY. He answers that since they ruled EY it is the
equivalent of exile.

The Pachad Yitzchak explains that one might think that therefore Hallel
should not be recited on Chanukah since it took place (halachically)
outside of Israel. He answers that once the chashmanoim reestablished a
Jewish government and drove out the Greeks the Greek exile was over and now
the miracle happened in EY

--
Eli Turkel