[Avodah] rainbow

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 27 13:26:47 PST 2016

> Personally I think that rainbows are beautiful, and I think  there are no
> accidents.  If Hashem made them beautiful then He  meant for us to
> appreciate their beauty and to have beautiful thoughts  when we see
them.[--TK]

Which makes one wonder why generations such as  that of RShBY are
deprived of them.

--
Zev Sero     Have a brilliant  Chanukah
zev at sero.name

I wonder how Rambam would have answered that question.  I understand  that
he considered rainbows to be natural phenomena.

One possible approach would be to say that for someone whose  appreciation
of Hashem's greatness is on a very high level, seeing a rainbow  would be a
spiritual yerida rather than an aliyah -- akin to breaking off from  your
Torah learning to say "mah na'eh ilan zeh."

(Chazal seem to be saying that there was no rainbow in his life because his
 generation was on such a high level, or he was on such a high level, that
there  was no reason for Hashem to consider destroying the world, and
therefore no  reason for Hashem to put in the sky the "reminder" of His promise
not to destroy  the world.  But that's hard to understand too, because there
were plenty of  sinners in RShBY's generation.)

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..