[Avodah] Correction to V'Achar Kayn or V'Achar Kach

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 27 12:44:02 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 03:36:45PM -0500, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: However,  the siddur of Rav Amram Gaon has kein.  This is older than
: both of the above, is it not?.

Yes and no. Yes for the text itself, not necessarily for the words we're
looking at.

There are no really good manuscripts. They differ widely from each other
and sometimes from what Seifer haManhig or the Avudraham say R' Amram
held. And the older, Sepharadi versions of the text often are adulterated
with the scribe's native nusach. Whereas we know that Ashkenaz accepted
more of the SRAG when trying to standardize its nusach.

Micha Berger             Education is not the filling of a bucket,
micha at aishdas.org        but the lighting of a fire.
http://www.aishdas.org                - W.B. Yeats
Fax: (270) 514-1507