[Avodah] Correction to V'Achar Kayn or V'Achar Kach

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 27 07:30:59 PST 2016

On 27/12/16 08:52, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> What I sent out before was not correct.  It should have read
>
>> Different sidurim have either  V'Achar Kayn or V'Achar Kach in Al
>> Ha'Nissim.

> The Artscroll siddur has V'Achar Kayn.  Also,  both the Roedelheim
> Siddur and Seligman Baer's Siddur, both considered to be authoritative,
> have V'Achar Kayn.

R Shabsi Sofer's siddur, which *is* considered authoritative, says that
all the siddurim have "kach", and so it is also in Abudarhem, however
his own opinion is that it would be better to say "kein", because that
is leshon mikra.  That's presumably why Roedelheim and Baer, who
preferred leshon mikra throughout their siddurim, amended this too.

However although in general "all brachos and prayers use leshon mikra as
much as possible" (SAhR 67:5, cf Brachos 38b Tosfos d"h  Vehilchesa), if
this particular prayer were intended to be in leshon mikra it would say
"yemei chanukah *eileh*", not "eilu".  "Eilu" is leshon chachamim, and
its use would seem to indicate that this prayer was composed in that
dialect.

(from R LY Raskin's notes on the AR's siddur)

--
Zev Sero                Have a brilliant Chanukah
zev at sero.name