[Avodah] Rachel didn't burn the idols because she wanted to denigrate the wisdom of the other nations?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 25 16:10:07 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:21:32AM +0200, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: Does anyone know a source for this idea that Rachel didn't burn the idols
: because she wanted to denigrate outside wisdom? ...

The Zohar ad loc (164b ) says it was to denigrate AZ and thereby ween
her father from them.

This being the Zohar, it doesn't necessarily mean she expected her father
to learn about hte denigration; it could be some kind of metaphysical
causality involved.

Also, the two clauses are quite a distance apart. I might be
misunderstanding with my "and thereby" connecting them.

Micha Berger             It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where
micha at aishdas.org        you are,  or what you are doing,  that makes you
http://www.aishdas.org   happy or unhappy. It's what you think about.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Dale Carnegie