[Avodah] What's the proper procedure for netilas yadayim before eating bread?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Nov 21 11:59:33 PST 2016

Beqitzur, according to the Rama and AhS, the way most of us wash our
hands is not only unnecessary, but raises questions about whether
the water on your hands from the first cup may be metamei the water
from the second. A question with an answer, but could be avoided
anyway.

Now, less qitzur.

AhS OC 162:7:
    And if he poured on his hands or on his one hand a revi'is all at once
    -- he doesn't need second water at all, because the revi'is is
    entirely metaheir. THis is what we learned in Tosefta Yadayim (pereq 1)

    Memeila, since there is no tamei water there at all, he does not need
    to raise his hands.

    Similarly someone who is tovel his hands in a miqvah...

    That's the halakhah. But even so, it is appopriate to raise his hands
    in any case, because the gemara makes an aspachta from the pasuq...

In se'if 8 he quotes the Rama and enters a discussion of multiple washings.
The Rama's yeish omerim and MA (s"q 2) say that washing 3 times on each hand
(before hamotzi) is enough to remove any need to be careful about anything.
Then he discussed why each washing's water isn't metamei the next one's.

Still, he concludes:
    According to all this, it is a tiqun chakhamim, and with a revi'is
    at once the hands are entirely clean, and also with three times the
    original [water] is entirely gone.

Se'if 9 says that two wachings is lechatkhilah, and if you washed with
once, you do not bother getting more water.

Se'if 11 explains that the common practice of 3x for neigl vasr and 2x
before hamotzi is the Mordechai.
The Tur (quoting the Semag) says it's 2x, plus once to wash them off. And
therefore the BY concludes that uf your hands rater out clean, ythere
is no need for a third.
To which the Rama adds (s' 2) similarly if you have far more than a
revi'is. Wash first with a little to get the dirt off, than pour the
entire revi'is at once, and there is no need for a second [pouring
of water].

Micha Berger             It is our choices...that show what we truly are,
micha at aishdas.org        far more than our abilities.
http://www.aishdas.org                           - J. K. Rowling
Fax: (270) 514-1507