[Avodah] Minhag Shtus

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 15 15:07:15 PST 2016

On 15/11/16 17:15, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> If the process of creating minhag is as I described, I am wondering about
> practices that caught on among the people but could not be justified
> by the rabbinate. Not rejected, that's the case just discussed. But
> no deep meaning could be found either. Would that be a minhag shetus,
> or do we need active rejection?

I haven't got the time now to find the source, but I am certain that
I've seen it written that no minhag is real unless it was endorsed by
the LOR of the place where it was introduced.  If we see that a minhag
is established and treated as such we assume that there was such rabbnic
backing, but if we know there wasn't then it's not a minhag.

--
Zev Sero                Hit the road, Jack
zev at sero.name           but please come back once more