[Avodah] Matana Al M'nas L'hachzir

Daniel Israel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 9 21:42:57 PST 2016

[As recently noted on list, too recently for RDI to have seen, but this
gives me a chance to remind the chevrah anyway, the digest software
can't handle Hebrew. Please save me time and transliterate rather than
emailing Hebrew letters. -micha]

On Oct 31, 2016, at 4:50 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
> I had another idea a few days ago. I would like to suggest that
> mitzvas chinuch does NOT require us to concoct halachic mechanisms to
> enable the katan to do the mitzvos with all its details. Rather, it
> is totally acceptable for a child to do a mitzvah in a partial manner,
> and the parent is doing his chinuch thereby, provided that the parent
> explains this to the child...

> I'll give two examples of where we do exactly that: Older children who
> do a partial fast on Yom Kippur. And children of any age who say a partial
> Birkas Hamazon....

You may want to look at Chagiga 2a tosafos d"h איזה הוא קטן [eizeh hu
qatan -mb] where they say that a katan has to bring a korban nadava as
part of chinuch for mitzvas re'eah, since he's not actually chayiv in
a korban re'eah.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu