[Avodah] Practice During the First and Second Bais Hamikdash (was Questions about Krias Ha Torah)

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 9 10:53:11 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 05:11:19AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
: My understanding is that the first machlokes was the machlokes
: concerning semichah between Yosi ben Yo'ezer and Yose ben Yochanan,
: as cited in the Mishnah in Chagigah (2:2).
:
: If so,  then weren't Tefillen "standardized" regarding the parashah
: orderings from the time that this mitzvah was given?...

Again, you're arguing against archeological evidence. We know as
a scertainty that both versions were in common use for well over a
millennium, at least. that is a plurality, a range of options, not
a dispute.

It wasn't a machloqes until someone decides that one ordering was
preferred, and someone else decides that a different one was.
When there are a variety of equally good ways to implement the
desiratum in Menachos 34b-35a that is a plurality, a range of
ways to do something, not a dispute.

Micha Berger             It is our choices...that show what we truly are,
micha at aishdas.org        far more than our abilities.
http://www.aishdas.org                           - J. K. Rowling
Fax: (270) 514-1507