[Avodah] Questions about Krias Ha Torah

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 8 11:26:02 PST 2016

At 10:24 AM 11/8/2016, Micha Berger wrote:
>That's because there is no one answer. You're asking for a standard when
>there was none. Different shuls or towns had different minhagim. All
>people can do is describe their notion of the range. And if one author
>thinks some practice is an outlier, far from any of the norms and another
>does not, they both could end up describing the same history differently.

Are we to deduce the same for other practices,  namely,  that there
was no single standard? If so,  then the Yahadus we have today is a
far cry from what it was originally.  People did many different
things.  For example,  the format of tefillah was established by the
Anshe Knesses Ha Gedola.   Before this occurred,  presumably people
had widely different versions of, say, shemone esrei.  If so,  then
why is there so much emphasis in Judaism today regarding doing
mitzvas in a very precise and prescribed manner?

YL