[Avodah] Faith and Doubt

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 4 09:50:17 PDT 2016

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 12:35:03PM -0400, via Avodah wrote:
: The difference between them was that Noach never was an agnostic...

And who said Charan was? Who in his era questioned the existence of any
gods at all?

I took it for granted R Besdin was talking about being agnostic WRT
Hashem's intevention.

: whole clever vort falls apart right from the beginning.

I thinkn your problem is with a word, not the thesis.

The parallel holds regardless of the appropiateness word "agnostic". Both
weren't sure the neis would happen until it did. In general, Noach
acted anyway, but the doubt still showed in the last minutes. Charan did
not. Acting despite doubt was sufficient to keep Noach afloat. Charan,
OTOH, was burnt by his inability to ignore his doubts.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
micha at aishdas.org        but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
http://www.aishdas.org   tasks as if they were great and noble.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Helen Keller