[Avodah] Swaying During Prayer and Torah Study

H Lampel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Nov 4 07:57:13 PDT 2016

On 11/4/2016 9:25 AM,  Micha Berger via Avodah
> Swaying is actually less work than standing still, whereas shukling is an
> action that has the potential to distract.
>
> Or as I noted earlier, to help the davener work himself up.
>
> I think there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this.
>
> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha
There is another component which may (academically, at least) weigh the
scales. It is a bein adam l-chaveiro concern (for males). The twisting
from side to side during Shacharis causes the tsitsis of one's tallis to
lift up and hit whomever is within their reach. I have been repeatedly
stung in such circumstances. (The same happens when the davenner next to
me first wraps himself in his tallis, flinging the tsitsis into my face,
and at times into my eyes). Sometimes it happens with people to both my
left and right, so that I feel like I'm going through a car wash. This
of course, besides causing me pain, interrupts my kavanna, a problem
during Shemoneh Essray, especially, when I'm lechatchilla helpless to
move away (or get closer to the culprit so that it bothers him to
twist). Sometimes I feel justified in moving away, just as I do when
someone next to me is cracking his knuckles--but that's another knuck to
crack.

Not that I haven't tried asking the mispallel to be careful, but habits
are hard to break.

So, to the other guy, one's shuckling or pumping or defiant-looking
hands-on hips postures or head contortions may be annoying, but the
twisting or flinging causes real pain.

Zvi Lampel