[Avodah] halacha vs minhag

Sholom Simon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 2 12:21:04 PDT 2016

>I found another case for a difference between minhag and psak

Aren't there around a gazillion of those? ;-)

>Most poskim say that the cohen's hands should be outside the tallit during
>birkhat kohanim.
>One proof is the minhag not to look at the chohen's hands. If his hands are
>inside the tallit then this custom is meaningless.

I have a vague recollection that there is a dispute that comes from
interpreting a line (perhaps in the gemara?) "they should not look
the kohain's hands", whether it refers to the kahal looking at the
kohanim's hands, or the kohanim themselves looking at their own
hands.  (Perhaps the B"Y says something on this?)

-- Sholom