[Avodah] R' Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din: Kohanim cannot fly from Ben Gurion

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 1 13:28:51 PDT 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> The "line from the middle of the earth through the meis" definition of
> lemaalah is the only definition I could think of that ends up with the
> commonsensical (ignoring the earth's curvature) definition the gemara
> assumes.

I severely doubt that chazal knew enough about a spherical earth and its
center.
Again far away with Rbn Katz that the halacha doesn't apply. Within a
distance of several amot which is what chazal was concerned the difference
between the tangent plane and a curved earth is probably very small.
I haven't done the math but have worked in meteorolgy. The standard
model in meteorology for any local forecast is to use the tangent plane
assumption.

--
Eli Turkel