[Avodah] fitbit

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 1 11:41:32 PDT 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 08:13:41PM +0200, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: I asked both R Ariel chief rabbi of Ramat Gan and R Rosen of Tzomet this
: question.
: They both answered that  technically it is permitted  but it is zilzul
: shabbat and they would only approve it for medical need.

Okay, next case:

When you don't press the button, the pedometer is a perfectly usable
digital watch. (This is actually closer to the vivofit's reality, except
that said watch goes dark when kept at rest for a long enough time. In
which case, moving your wrist lights up LEDs... But let's stick to the
imaginary example.)

Is it still zilzul Shabbos when you have a perfectly Shabbosdik reason
to wear the watch in addition to tracking one's walking?

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)