[Avodah] running creates electricity

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Nov 1 03:17:06 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:53:58PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: In your example, I would think that the battery charger would be an example
: of an "assur device". I would imagine that a discernible amount of heat is
: generated in this process. And even you can find a way to say that no
: melacha happens when the battery is charging, it is still hachana -
: preparation for after Shabbos.

1- I really doubt triboelectric clothing would generate enough power to
produce heat you could feel. Even if you could combine it with solar
cell clothes or those that use body heat to produce power (a news story
in 2012).

2- Would it be hachanah even though you are still wearing the clothing as
clothing?

This touches on my fitbit question of a short while ago. Say you had
a fitbit like device that posed no halakhic question other than this:
After Shabbos you could push a button to see how far you walked or how
well you slept.

(A real fitbit has lights that you couldn't avoid turning on or off. A
vivofit's display shuts off when not moving for a while -- but will go
on as soon as you bring your hand up to look at the display. Etc... So
this question is more hypothetical than real.)

To my mind that's a strong hachanah case. Something we didn't raise then.

Micha Berger             One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
micha at aishdas.org        but to become a tzaddik.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507