[Avodah] R' Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din: Kohanim cannot fly from Ben Gurion

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 31 12:22:19 PDT 2016

On 31/10/16 14:52, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> But what if the person were buried on Mars. Would "above" be a wedge
> starting at the center of Mars? Or would it be defined by the rapidly
> changing line from the middle of the earth? How geocentric are we?

Lich'ora we are very geocentric.  Everything in Torah seems to support
such a view.  This is the Eretz where man was created and the Torah was
given, and where the Machon Leshivtecha is located.  Thus it is the
privileged point of view from which the rest of the universe is to be
regarded.

> More likely RET is correct, and someone so far above the source of
 > tum'ah that the human eye can't see it isn't tamei. Just because
 > that seems consistent to me with halakhah in general.

Then no grave should be tamei because the body is covered and thus
invisible.  It seems to me that the rule that invisible things are
treated as non-existent applies only to things that are invisible in
themselves, not merely invisible to you because of your distance, just
as we don't apply it if they're merely invisible to you because of your
blindness, or because your eyes are closed, or because it's dark.

--
Zev Sero                Hit the road, Jack
zev at sero.name           but please come back once more