[Avodah] R' Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din: Kohanim cannot fly from Ben Gurion for the next few weeks

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Oct 30 11:12:37 PDT 2016

On 30/10/16 09:31, Marty Bluke wrote:
>> Who says it does?   Without certain knowledge that it does there is
>> no problem.  The overwhelming majority of the earth's surface does
>> *not* consist of Jewish graves, and all of it was created without
>> such graves, so each bit of surface you travel over can be assumed
>> to be tahor unless you know (as in this case) that it isn't.

> Why not? Maybe Kohanim should have to check teh flight path and ensure
> that they aren't going to be flying over a cemetery. There are quite a
> number of Jewish cemetaries in Europe.

Why should they have to?  The vast majority of the earth's surface is
permitted to them; why should they suspect that the flight path includes
one of the few forbidden places?

>>     Why did you write this, when the article suggests an alternative?
>>

> As someone who lives in Israel, that is not a realistic alternative
> to fly from Haifa to Cyprus.

The dayanim who suggested it also live in Israel, and they seem to think
otherwise.

> We've searched more than 400 airlines that we sell, and couldn't
> findany flights from Haifa (HFA) to Larnaca (LCA) on Tue, Nov 1

Could they have meant to go to Cyprus by sea, and then fly from there?

--
Zev Sero                Hit the road, Jack
zev at sero.name           but please come back once more