[Avodah] Gan Eden

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 28 05:07:42 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

Maaseh Bereishis is incomprehensible. The "only" things we're going to
> pull out of this part of chumash are meshalim for our own lives. Meshalim
> are intentionally enigmatic, as they hint at more and more to analyze,
> more comparisons to learn from.

This is exactly what I mean when I say that the early chapters of Bereshit
are myths. I know you don't like that expression, and it's indeed
problematic because one has to immediately add disclaimers: "not in the
sense that they are false but in the sense of narratives which convey deep
messages central to a culture beneath the surface" etc. etc. etc, but it's
what I believe: HKBH chose to reveal the beginning of the world as myths.