[Avodah] Waterproof S'chach? Really?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 21 06:05:21 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 06:27:42AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Micha Berger cited the DailyHalacha.com:
:> Several other Poskim, however, disagreed. The Shebet Ha'levi
:> (Rav Shemuel Wosner, contemporary) wrote that we should not be
:> trying to "outsmart" Halacha by devising creative strategies,
:> and we should use the same kind of Sechach that Jews have been
:> using for generations. Likewise, the Kinyan Ha'Torah maintained
:> that although rainproof Sechach might be technically
:> permissible, one should use the traditional Sechach.

: I don't understand. Why does sentimentality trump a d'Oraisa?

We have to know more about the idea DailyHalacha.com described as
"outsmarting halachah". Personally, I read it as an appeal to mimeticism.
But whatever RSW was driving at, the blogger's use of this particular
idiom sounds to my ear as being more about how halachic process works
than sentiment / nostalgia.

:-)BBii!