[Avodah] N'kom L'aynaynu

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 11:06:39 PDT 2016

On 10/6/2016 6:45 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 05:23:16PM +0300, Lisa Liel wrote:
> : I know it goes against modern cultural mores, but being able to see
> : God take vengeance on one's enemies can be a great comfort.  I know
> : that we're supposed to say "I want justice; not vengeance", but the
> : Torah is pretty clear that wanting vengeance is natural, and not to
> : be condemned...
>
> What about the Rambam, Dei'os 7:7, that I cited WRT whether neqimah
> is only a problem WRT ".... es benei amekha"?
>      Ra'ui lo le'adam liyhos ma'vir al midosav
>      al kol divrei ha'olam.
>      Shehakol eitzel hamevinim divrei hevel vehavai.
>      Ve'einan kedai linqom aleihem.
>
> It does appear that a wise person doesn't think anything is worth
> neqamah.
WADR, I don't see how that Rambam is relevant at all to n'kom
l'eineinu.  Rambam raui lo *l'adam*.  That it's good midot for an
individual to let things go.  Though note also that he doesn't say it's
assur not to.  But we're talking about the tzibbur.  And when our
tzibbur is oppressed, that calls for vengeance.  Public vengeance.
Because it's a chillul Hashem for His people to be oppressed, so it
requires a public vengeance to repair it.

Lisa

---