[Avodah] N'kom L'aynaynu

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 07:23:16 PDT 2016

On 10/5/2016 6:14 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I think it's that we're more concerned that the world see that yeish
> din veyeish Dayan than we have some need for the wicked people to get
> theirs. All, as long as they stop doing bad to us, why should we care?

I know it goes against modern cultural mores, but being able to see God
take vengeance on one's enemies can be a great comfort.  I know that
we're supposed to say "I want justice; not vengeance", but the Torah is
pretty clear that wanting vengeance is natural, and not to be
condemned.  When we are told not to take vengeance, it is *solely*
against fellow Jews (bnei amecha).

It is not bloodthirsty or morally compromised to want to see those who
oppressed you brought low.  Even ignoring the perennial argument I have
with RMB about rejoicing over the fall of an enemy, I don't think
*anyone* suggests that it's wrong to feel comforted by seeing *God*
wreaking vengeance on those who have spilled our blood.

We know that eventually, the evil will get their comeuppance.  But given
the choice of seeing that comeuppance in my lifetime and having to rely
on the fact that it'll happen by-and-by, I'll take the former every time.

Lisa