[Avodah] Shabbos: uprooting grass, motion sensors lights, opening refrigerators

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 31 16:31:26 PDT 2016

R E Turkel wrote re electric sparks on Shabbos - The Gemara in Masechet
Eruvin (100) ...... Paskened in the Shulchan Aruch (336:3) that one may
walk on grass during Shabbat because Rabbi Shimon permits activities, where
there is no intent to perform Melacha even if it may result in a
Melacha (forbidden activity).

One may even walk barefoot, despite the greater likelihood of uprooting the
grass from the ground.
see http://www.dailyhalacha.com/m/halacha.aspx?id=1088 for more info.

This is true but it misses the broader picture - when we have no benefit
from the Melacha, Lo Nicha Leih - the action is not defined as Melacha
altogether. It's even less than Eino Tzericha LeGufo. Tearing grass out of
the ground is not an issue unless there is some benefit even though there
is no intent. The imagery of dragging a table or chair across the garden
and making a furrow - the classic illustration of Davar SheEin MisKavein -
requires some clarification - does this occur in the middle of a moonless
night or is it a blindfolded person who is pulling the chair; I mean why
not turn around and have a look to see if in fact there is a Charits, a
furrow in the ground??

Obviously, there is no need to observe if a furrow is being dug because
even though he benefits if there will be a furrow [unlike our gardens where
it would be deemed to be MeKalKel - destructive] he is not intending to
make a furrow. So in essence the Halacha says we do not care if there is a
constructive useful furrow dug by your dragging as long as that is not your
intention you may leave your blindfold in place.

But if we actually SEE the furrow being dug, we must stop. When I say we, I
mean the fellow doing the action - I dont think bystanders need concern
themselves with the digging if they see it. WHY because he actually
benefits from that furrow.

Now, activating a motion sensor light during Shabbos is permitted by almost
all Poskim, IF we are walking down the street and do not intend to activate
the light, even though we KNOW the light is there and WILL BE activated,
because we get no real benefit from the Melacha. Indeed, if we are
cautiously inching along a dark path and a light is activated [even by a G
in order to assist us and we did not ask or allude for assistance] we must
shut our eyes.
WHY because it's Lo Nicha Leih - we get nothing out of the Melacha, we can
walk quite comfortably even when the light is not activated; UNLIKE the
case of dragging the chair and making the useful furrow.

AS A THEORETICAL QUERY - It follows that in a well illuminated kitchen,
where all items in the refrigerator can be readily identified and selected
even when the refrigerator light is NOT ACTIVATED, there ought to be no
reason why one who has not deactivated his refrigerator light may not open
the fridge during Shabbos? JUST ASKING, YOU KNOW