[Avodah] tefillin on chol hamoed

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Oct 30 04:37:22 PDT 2016

<<When it comes to EY,  the claim is that it is minhag Eretz Yisroel not to
put on Tefillen during Chol Moed.  However,  according to Rabbi Chaim
Pinchas Scheinberg, Z'L, Rabbi Binyamin Hamburger, and I am sure others,
there is no such thing as minhag EY. EY is a melting pot with congregations
having many different minhagim.  CWhen it comes to EY,  the claim is that
it is minhag Eretz Yisroel not to put on Tefillen during Chol Moed.
However,  according to Rabbi Chaim Pinchas Scheinberg, Z'L, Rabbi Binyamin
Hamburger, and I am sure others, there is no such thing as minhag EY. EY is
a melting pot with congregations having many different minhagim.  Thus, to
assert that one should not put on Tefillen, because one lives in EY seems
to me to be unjustified.  Indeed,  I am told that there are people who live
in Eretz Yisroel who put on Tefillen privately.  Furthermore, there are
some minyanim in EY at which Tefillen are worn publicly on Chol Moed.
Ehrlau'er is one  Indeed,  I am told that there are people who live in
Eretz Yisroel who put on Tefillen privately.  Furthermore, there are some
minyanim in EY at which Tefillen are worn publicly on Chol Moed. Ehrlau'er
is one >>

The vast majority of religious people in EY with almost all poskim require
everyone in EY to follow the minhagim of EY. R Hamburger has been fighting
this position for years claiming that the ancient ashkenazi (German)
minhagim are the most accurate and therefore they should not change. My
impression is that there is a handful of shuls that follow this opinion
while thousands follow minhag EY.

I am not familar with all the psakim of R. Hamburger (he has several
seforim on the topic). For example standard practice that I know is that on
chol hamoed succot the parshah of the day is read 4 times consecutively. Do
these shuls really read from the next day also as done outside of Israel? I
take it for granted that these communities do not keep two days of yomtov
and eat in the succah on shemini azeret.

I know that Rav Elyashiv was asked about wearing tefillin on Chol Hamoed
and prohibited it but these communities continued to argue with the psak.

<<Thus, to assert that one should not put on Tefillen, because one lives in
EY seems to me to be unjustified >>

I find this statement quite strange. The minhag of not wearing tefillin in
EY on chol hamoed is practiced by 99% of religious Jews living in EY.
Isn't that justification enough?  RSZA, RYSE, ROY, RAL among others
didnt wear tefillin on chol hamoed were they all wrong?

--
Eli Turkel