[Avodah] waterproof schach

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Oct 23 05:39:48 PDT 2016

[Email #1, in ewply to R' Akica Miller:]

> To me it sounds more like an ill person who insists on *eating* on Yom
> Kippur, rather than taking advantage of some advance in medical
> technology that would allow him to fast, on the grounds that his father
> and grandfather did without such measures and simply ate when they had to.

There is no requirement to use advanced technology so that one can fast
on YK.
Of course it would depend on the nature of the technology. Certainly
anything invasive is not required.

[Email #2, in reply to Zev:]
> To me it sounds more like an ill person who insists on *eating* on
> Yom Kippur, rather than taking advantage of some advance in medical
> technology that would allow him to fast, on the grounds that his father
> and grandfather did without such measures and simply ate when they
> had to.>>

As a generality I would take all pskei halacha from the internet that are
posted on avodah with a grain a salt. These are opinions are individual
rabbis and there are frequently other opinions.

As am example we have had discussions of non-Israeli keeping 2 days of
yomtov when visiting Israel.
I have numerous freinds from the US who keep one day in Israel on grounds
that they own an apartment, come for all 3 regalim etc. Many rabbis
allow stidents studying in Israel to keep one day. Outside of Jerusalem
it can be very difficult to keep a second day.

Similarly in the opposite case I am aware of opinions that allow Israelis
to do work in private on the second day of yom tov.

In both cases many rabbis are machmir. So finding a machmir opinion on
the web is not a psak for every individual. Even more so for newer cases
like carrying a key on yomtov when one has a keyless lock available at
home I would guess that there are various opinions by modern poskim.

--
Eli Turkel