[Avodah] A quantum of time

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 14 12:57:30 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:39oom EDT, Zev wrote to Areivim:
:                                                          The wish is
: for a toch-kedei-dibbur "rewind button", for those moments when we
: realise immediately that we have made a mistake.

I think tokh kedei dibbur works because it's a quantum of time. Any
two statements made within that span is close enough to simultaneous
as to make no difference.

And therefore not require a rewind button.

Now, if someone greets their rebbe at the respectful speed of a mere
3 syllables per second, then the 10 syllables of "Shalom eilekha rebbe
umori" would take approximately 3-1/3 sec, or 1 cheileq. And I suggest
that this one indeed the intent, because a cheileq is the quantum of
time when it comes to computing the calendar.

The two uses of time are quite different, so the quanta needn't be
equal. But it would be elegant if tokh kedei dibbur was a way to
estimate out a cheileq, that both did indeed describe the same unit.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)