[Avodah] Declaration to annul future vows

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 10 08:49:58 PDT 2016

A couple of weeks ago I raised the issue of why we say Hataros Nedarim
every year given that the last paragraph refers to vows in the future.
The response was that Hataros Nedarim works for past vows, but not for
future vows.

However, today's Halacha-a-day contains the following:

Can an individual at home say Kol Nidrei?

Although annulment of previous vows can only be made in the presence
of three men, an advance declaration to annul future vows can be made
alone. Therefore, one may say the version that refers to the coming
year but not the past year. The introductory lines before the words
'Kol Nidrei' should also be omitted. (1)

Footnote (1) is