[Avodah] teshuva

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Oct 9 08:08:56 PDT 2016

I recently a quote from ROY that is based on the comparison of teshuva to a
mikvah. He argues that just like a mikvah if part of the body is outside
the water then nothing is purified so too with teshuva if a person isn't
willing to ask for forgiveness for one sin then G-d doesn't grant
forgiveness for all the other sins. He gives the xample of someone who is
not willing to give up shaving with a razor. Then G-d does not purify him
from his sins. Each sin is connected to a limb in the body and this person
is "missing" some sin and so he is not forgiven for his sins until he
accepts all mitzvot.

This goes against everything I have learned. I was always taught that the
ordinary person should work on improving himself in one area. Sure the
greatest level is when a person completely changes his personality.
However, that is too difficult for most people and therefore they should
strive to improve in one area of their lives, i.e. take on a "new years
resolution" that this year I will be more careful about saying brachot etc.
--
Eli Turkel