[Avodah] Geonim, Rambam and Other Rishonim on Mesorah and Pesak and RMH's essay

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 13:32:49 PDT 2016

The Rambam, on when halakhah can be overturned, from Mamrim 2:

2:1- A law made by derashah, ANY later beis din can overturn. "veDan
kefi mah shenir'eh be'einav."

2:2- A gezeirah, zaqanah or minhag requires a beis din hagadol mimnu
bechokhmah uveminyan.

3:2- A siyag cannot be overturned at all.

The contrast betwen halakhah 1 vs 2 & 2 is due to the Rambam's
Accumulative model. Legislation is a matter of legal authority of the BD
that made the new law. But interpretation of existing law is a matter of
correctly understanding the Torah or the legislating BD. So, whatever the
"shofeit asher yihyeh beyamim haheim" thinks is the truth is din.

Which I presume is because he holds like BB 130b-131a.

ROY (intro to Halikhos Olam) cites R' Chaim Volozhiner (shu"t Chut
haMeshulash #9, Ruach haChaim on Avos 4:4) as invoking this gemara to
explain why RCV didn't follow all of the Gra's pesaqim.

This (2:1) stands in contrast to (eg) the Tur and Beis Yoseif CM 25,
who limit even overturning a ga'on's rulingt "ela bequshya mefursemes,
vezehu davar she'enah nimtzah". The Tur (citing the Rosh) considers
overturning pisqei ge'onim to be to'eh bidvar mitzvah.

See also the Mechaber, in Kesef Mishnah on 2:1.

R Chaim Brisker, who holds that later eras are in theory empowered to
overturn earlier pesaqim, but we refuse to excercise that power out
of kavod, would apparently hold like the Rambam. (No surprise, there.)