[Avodah] Rav Melamed on Metal Pots

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Oct 5 14:07:07 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 05:04:23PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> Less remains in cracks. Thus, less beli'ah.

:> And besides, one can make nosein ta'am lifgam arguments.

:> I think the smoothness of rolled metal is a bigger issue than which
:> metal we're using (cast iron vs stainless). And soap.

: If we were talking about a b'dieved situation, where one already used a
: keli for the other gender, then I would understand how these factors are
: relevant, because the less mamashus is present, then the greater the chance
: that we have shishim against it.

I think you're being way too pedantic about what I wrote.

In any case, beli'ah could never be guaranteed to be zero. Knowing for sure
not even one cell remains from the meat that was last in the pot??? So yeah,
we really are talking about getting the beli'ah down to ignorable levels,
even in lekhat-chilah cases.

(Nosein ta'am lifgam is usable lechat-khilah, AFAIK. But I threw that in
as a tangent.)

As I wrote, I think that the flatness of the metal, even on a level one
can't see (but perhaps feel as more or less "sleek") has more to do with
beli'ah today than what metal the pot is made from. How they're washed,
or anything else we raised.

Soap, by extracting lipids / fatty acids / whatever they're called, from
those tiny imperfections could be the difference as to whether or not
the amount of remaining food particles is ignorable.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             We are great, and our foibles are great,
micha at aishdas.org        and therefore our troubles are great --
http://www.aishdas.org   but our consolations will also be great.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabbi AY Kook