[Avodah] tefillin on chol hamoed

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 10 11:29:02 PST 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:58:27PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: That there is such a thing as minhag shtus is an explicit Tosfos on
: the first amud of Bava Basra (dh Bigvil).  In general, to be binding
: a minhag must have been established with the consent of a talmid
: chacham; if it just arose organically it's not a minhag.

See my post of Tue 11:33am EST, where I argue that minhagim are grass
roots and just arise mimetically. They may (c.f. Rambam Mamrim 2:2)
require validation from a rav after creation to qualify. But I'm not
sure. E.g. the Ran says minhag is binding as neder (derabbanan; built
through chazaqah) and the Rambam says (according to RMSoloveitchik)
the problem is perishah min hatzibbur -- neither relies on rabbinic
authority.

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter