[Avodah] Kima

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 31 09:35:07 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 03:54:21PM +0300, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: Everything I can find online identifies Kima, mentioned in Amos and
: Iyov (and later, in the Gemara), as the Pleiades.  But I can't find
: any source that explains how that identification was made.  Does
: anyone know why it's assumed that Kima is the Pleiades?

R Saadia Gaon translates it al turayya, which would be the Pleiades.
The Bedouins still use the name. Kima. IE (Amos 5:8) cites this (not
besheim omero) and rejects it, saying kima is Aldebaran (the left eye
in Taurus).

Shemuel (Berekhoas 58a) describes kima as a cluster of "kemei'ah" stars,
some say they are close together, some say they are not.

Iyov 9:9 refers to "as, kesil vekhimah", and Amos also has "kumah
ukhesil", so we know the names of things in its neighborhood.

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle